If you've landed on this blog by mistake, please follow this link:


www.Michigan.PreppersNetwork.com

Please update your bookmarks and the links on your sites.



Join our forum at:


Saturday, January 30, 2010

My Long Absents Explained

I want to apologize for my long absents, but it could not be helped. To tell the whole story, or at least just the highlights of it, I need to go back to the week before deer hunting season this year.

I had a doctor’s appointment the Friday before the opener. I went and my doctor wanted to put me on a new medicine. Now, I tend to be fairly hardheaded and not easily persuaded into anything I am not ready or willing to tackle. We talked about it and I was adamant that I not start the new meds until after deer season. That turned out to be one of the better decisions I ever made.

My buddy and I had a great time at the cabin. We didn’t see many deer and only one shot was even attempted. (Toolman missed.) Toolman had gone up the week before and repaired the furnace and re-wired the breaker box so we could hook up a generator. First time since I have owned the place we were warm and had lights for deer season. We can’t wait for next year.

Anyway, the week after I got home I went back to the doctor and started the new medicine. One week to the day after I started it I had a reaction to it and ended up in the hospital for a week. (I can not imagine what it would have been if it happened while I was up north hunting.)

I know very few of you know me personally, but those that do know I do not take drugs of any kind and never have. I hate taking an aspirin for a headache and rarely do. When the attack hit me I was begging for drugs. They gave me some pain medicine that had me seeing things. At one point I was in a cave instead of the hospital and I saw long dead pets walking around the room. I was messed up!

I got released from the hospital a week after I was admitted and came home. I spent several weeks trying to sleep in the chair, the guest room bed, and the couch, usually all in one night. I was lucky to drift off for an hour at a time. I couldn’t eat either. I have lost over forty pounds since then. It is good for me, but I feel weak and not like my old self.

I could not sit and use the computer much more than read a few e-mails at a time and answering them was a tough chore. I write free-lance articles for several magazines under my real name too and I couldn’t write anything, I just couldn’t sit at the computer, it hurt too much.

My wife was a rock for me and she proved yet again that marrying her is the best decision I ever made in my life. I could not have made it home alone without her and my son whom happened to be home from college for this ordeal.

My thoughts on survival and preparedness changed a lot during that time. All I cared about was getting my health and strength back. I had to change my diet and now a lot of my stored food is no longer “healthy” for me to eat. Ironically, one of the last things I wrote for this blog but forgot to send in was a receipt for the breakfast I make up at deer camp and Sundays here on the farm. I can no longer eat that breakfast now, all the stuff in it is bad for me.

I am now almost back to my old self. I will be returning to work in a week or so and my life should start to get back to normal by spring. I am not sure when or even if I will be writing again for a while. Needless to say I am way behind on lots of stuff.

Anyway, that is why I have not been around in a couple months. Let’s hope someone else steps up and adds some stuff for the Michigan Preppers.

Later,

Wolverine

3 comments:

treesong said...

Illness, either your own or that of a significant other, sure has a way of putting things in perspective. Glad to hear you are on the mend. I'm now caring for my 81 year-old father and that's got us thinking more about our "golden years." Sometimes we forget we'll get old or suffer an injury and need to make adjustments. Negotiating stairs, reaching tall cabinets, tripping on throw rugs and the consequences of poor dietary and physical habits take their toll.

My father says he should have "looked at life through the eyes of a 70-year-old" while still in his 30's. Good advice, I think.

Ken said...

...just get better and get back to us...Prayers and thoughts from me/mine to you/yours

Gen-IL Homesteader said...

Oh my! Hoping you'll be feeling better soon.

MichiganPreppersNetwork.com Est. Jan 17, 2009 All contributed articles owned and protected by their respective authors and protected by their copyright. Michigan Preppers Network is a trademark protected by American Preppers Network Inc. All rights reserved. No content or articles may be reproduced without explicit written permission.